Across the floorcovering industry as well as other trades that require a skilled workforce, there is a lack of skilled labor that has evolved into a full crisis. The floorcovering industry has been losing trained, experienced installers at an alarming rate and some question what the industry is doing to actively recruit and train to build up the next generation of Floorcoverers. INSTALL, the International Standards and Training Alliance, has been committed to next-generation recruitment, apprenticeship and career-long training for many decades. This strategy which combats the skilled labor crisis, will continue to remain a key focus in 2016 and beyond.
INSTALL apprenticeships are enjoying record-breaking enrollment. Currently the program has more than 2,000 apprentices and its training and certification showing a 32% rate of growth since 2012. INSTALL has the following programs to improve recruitment initiatives and increase the number of skilled installers available in the floorcovering industry:
- High School Outreach: Giving high school students a head start to a solid future
- Helmets to Hardhats: Putting veterans on the fast track to apprenticeship and a career
- Job Corp: A good first step for at-risk men and women
- Sisters in the Brotherhood: Recruiting and mentoring women into the trades
- Pre-Apprenticeships: Orientation and screening process
- Third-Year Apprentice Training: Professionalism, productivity, skill and attitude training for seasoned apprentices
- Foreman Training: Leadership and management skills to compliment the technical skills that foreman bring to the job
- College Credits: The training provided at our centers can earn our membership college credits to associates and bachelor’s degrees
In addition to advanced recruitment and quality training programs INSTALL has also recently expanded its floor training program to Texas. This was a strategic move as the state’s floorcovering market is booming. The expansion will allow for even more job opportunities, trained workers and certified installers. INSTALL is actively seeking Texas-based contractors to partner in bringing INSTALL training and certification to Texas Floorcoverers.